Sunday, March 13, 2011

New Blog! Plus Game Review!

Hello to all out there in the multimedia wasteland known to us as "The Internet". I have as of recently decided to bring it upon myself to Blog just for the sake of giving myself things to do, like talk about video games and other useless garbage, as I would normally do in person if I were to speak to you. Anyways, I thought I'd start off my new blog with a game review of a game I recently just finished (Even 100%'d).




*SPOILER ALERT, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED*


Alright, This is how I'm gonna do these, I shall do my reviews in the segments of Aesthetics, Gameplay, Story, and Audio and will be rated on a 11 point system, 1 being absolute trash and 11 being total gaming perfection brought down by the gaming gods themselves (Maybe Duke Nukem Forever will be this?). Just ignore the 11th point, its just there to amuse myself.

Now before I start, I would like to say that when I heard this game was coming out, I was PSYCHED (Although, like most games I get excited about I forget about them soon after until AFTER they come out...). Anyways, Let's get to the review before I go off on a tangent (This is very common).

Aesthetics

For a Wii game, this is gorgeous. The look of the game often made me think I was playing something on one of the HD current gen consoles. Everything is well designed, from the famed bounty hunter herself to the Zoomers that have been in the series since the start, and there were a lot of times where I had found that my jaw had dropped, like the CG scenes done by D-Rockets were phenomenal, almost realistic even. Then the look of the game itself pushed the Wii to its very limit and it doesn't disappoint. My only gripe about the look is Lyle who just looks like his face is made of wax and had been melted.

Lyle "Wax-face" Smithsonian

Anyways, besides Lyle here, everyone, and everything, was designed to perfection, I actually felt fear as I saw Ridley descend onto the platform, revealing himself to be FAR from dead as we had once thought (Samus even blew up a planet under the bastard's feet).

The Space Pirate Leader Himself, Pterodactyl-man-- I MEAN RIDLEY.

Verdict: 9/11

Gameplay

Now when I had heard that this game was going to be a joint project between Nintendo and Tecmo's Team Ninja, Creating the Project M Team, I had no idea how they were gonna pull off a Ninja Gaiden-esque Metroid Game. But I wasn't disappointed, Not. One. Bit. The game flows so well between game-play and cut-scenes that I had one occurrence of trying to PLAY during one (Hehe, whoops). The controller is very responsive to the player, resulting in Samus doing everything without error (Besides human error, of course). In this iteration, Samus has gained the ability of "Sense-move" (presumably from the "Baby" she had cared so much for). Other than the new "Sense-move" Mechanic (Which actually saves your life at one point) there is the auto-aim in the 3rd Person viewpoint, which always did exactly what I wanted it to (It read my mind). And the switch between 3rd and 1st person was done really well, even giving you a few seconds of slo-mo to adjust to your surroundings.

Verdict: 10/11

Story

Now, if your planning on playing it after reading the entirety of this review, it's almost a prerequisite that you beat Super Metroid first (Thanks to the people at Nintendo for re-releasing this on the Virtual Console), unless you'll go into this game thinking "WHOA, SAMUS IS BEING HELD BY A METROID, WHY ISN'T SHE LOSING HEALTH BUT GAINING IT INSTEAD-- *sees Mother Brain* O_O WHAT. IS. THAT?!" I think you get the idea.

The recreation of the finale of Super Metroid
Going into this I wasn't too sure of what to expect of the story, seeing as there was apparently nothing of interest happening between Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion. What I found was a story of untold secrets and uncovering of the past (even before the original Metroid! =O). In the beginning Samus gets an SOS signal titled "Baby's Cry" which apparently has the urgency of a baby's cry (Does this mean all other SOS signals are just there to see and just move on, like an art gallery?). As she approaches the "Bottle Ship" (I see what you did there Nintendo, and don't think I didn't miss the game's acronym) she comes across a Galactic Federation ship, filled with memories of her time with the GF, she pushes onward to find the soldiers from said ship, and to find that among them were Anthony Higgs and Adam Malkovich.

Hey princess, remember me? Cause I sure don't...
After talking about times past (and many mentionings of how she was "Young and Inexperienced" or "Young and Naive") they move onto the real problem, the door wont open. Their solution? Blast the tar out of it to no avail, so Samus takes a shot (literally) and blasts it open with a single missile. Fast-forward to a later point in the game, where Madeline Bergman (a researcher upon the Bottle Ship) tells you that there is a traitor amongst the GF, my first thought? The scumbag below.

James Pierce, the one guy of the group that looks like a total douchebag.
Although they never elaborate on who this traitor is, I just assumed it was Scumbag Steve here. Back to what's important, overall, the story is great. The only thing they left out is the "Deleter"'s identity.

Verdict: 10/11

Music

It's Metroid, need I say any more? The music has always been kinda strange to me, but it always has fit.

Verdict: 9/10

Overall

I loved this game, and I recommend it to any Metroid or Action fan, I can find almost nothing wrong with this game, besides Lyle and the hidden identity of the Deleter.

Overall Verdict: 9.5/11

Thank you for reading my first ever blog post! Many more are to come in the future!

2 comments:

  1. Nice. Probably wouldn't get a chance to play metriod, but your commentary is amusing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After DNF's release i think its safer to say that Saints Row the Third will reach the 11th point

    ReplyDelete